Any plans to knock down and rebuild with a new bigger terminal would be the end of the airport. Any plans to double passengers numbers in the next decade also likely to fail.
The airport is slap bang in the middle of a major residential conurbation, the last place for a an airport of this size.
The air quality from the road traffic already higher then permitted levels, which the local authority turn a blind eye to at the moment.
Present then with plans for a major expansion, with increased traffic etc there is no way it would get planning permission, especially as the local MP a Lib Dem who have climate change tattooed on their foreheads.
There is an acceptance of the airport locally in its present format, however, major changes without concessions will not see the light of day.
I accept the above thread is tongue in cheek, but if Yorkshire wants this airport format, its not going to be at LBA.
Moving the landing point 300 mts may well be highly advantages for the airport, but that's only one side of the equation, you need to reassure the local residents what your going to do with the additional traffic if this increases the number of flights, as congestion is already unacceptable and air pollution from traffic off the scale, never mind additional aircraft noise, even if imaginary.
Someone has told me right or wrong that the new airport car parks don't have electric charging points, yet in 22 years, petrol and diesel cars will be banned from our roads and within 5 years we going to have to insist all local transport arriving at the airport (bus and taxi) is either electric or LPG, yet the local bus company still buying diesel buses.

Tarn Spotter. This area hasn't had a LibDem MP since last year's General Election. Greg Mulholland lost his seat to Labour - Alex Someoneorother. FWIW, I wasn't sure about Mr Mulholland's attitude to the airport and transport access. Of course, the man being Mancunian could have coloured his views. Ancient history now anyways.

The very idea of LBA doubling or tripling passenger numbers seems daunting but it seemed daunting when the airport was handing 700,000 passengers a year and they were looking to handle 1 million passengers. It seems daunting when the airport was handling 1 million passengers and the airport managers said they were aiming for 1.5 million. When the airport finally got approval for 24 hour operations there was a fanfare of positive press releases "more jobs and growth" and "passenger numbers projected to double to 3 million passengers per year" and "an airport to rival Manchester" were the kind of headlines the Yorkshire Evening Post was using. Doubling passenger numbers from 4 million to 8 million seems daunting once again but it is achievable and without the kind of expansion some think would be necessary to achieve it.

full

Bristol Airport handles in the region of 8 million passengers annually.

BRS is a case in point where operational difficulties can be overcome with ambitious investment. LBA can surely replicate this if the funding and the desire is there.

BRS is a case in point where operational difficulties can be overcome with ambitious investment. LBA can surely replicate this if the funding and the desire is there.

Most of us would agree a runway extension is almost definitely out of the question as the cost would out-way the benefits. The costs involved to move the ILS and associated runway lighting along with the potential for requiring more land for the RESA and PSZ might be expensive but it would have a positive affect that would be seen instantly and at a fraction of the cost of a runway extension.

Leeds-Bradford-old-PSZ-maps.jpg

There are currently two workman doing a survey on the forecourt area in front of the terminal. One of them is wearing a HACS jacket which is the company which built the new Viking Car Park. It’s probably nothing exciting but it could be to do with the forecourt landscaping work I heard rumoured a while ago which included a covered walkway out to the pick up/drop off area. Anyone elseheard anything about this? Cheers

A new sign featuring the new Brand/logo was installed above the main entrance last night and as you can see from the photo, they are now installing new signage on the roof of the terminal.A3A4261E-CB47-470F-8386-CF63C3110338.jpeg
The newly renovated Cabin Bar opens tomorrow. It occupies an area which was part of the Saltaire restaurant (to the left of the kitchen) so it doesn’t actually provide any additional space. The new lounges are due to open on the 11th April I believe.

The yellow does go really well with the logo I really do approve of this one!

Now let's hope they get the main doors fixed soon, you got oneside broke with the outer door not working then on the otherside it's the inner door that's broke meaning your having to squeeze through the pillars between the doors to get in. Very inconvenient and doesn't set a good example about the airport.

Now let's hope they get the main doors fixed soon, you got oneside broke with the outer door not working then on the otherside it's the inner door that's broke meaning your having to squeeze through the pillars between the doors to get in. Very inconvenient and doesn't set a good example about the airport.

Completely agree, those doors are a joke and are always breaking down. Sometimes when they are working they open very slowly. It would be nice to see a new set of doors installed, but I don’t see it happening.

The construction company HACS are now on site and are setting up to start working on the forecourt area. Not completely sure what that work will entail though.

As we are talking about airport views and lounges I have to recommend East Midlands Airport as on both levels of the departure area you have an excellent view of the apron with lots of space and good food outlets in the terminal.
It was a quiet time to be fair with only three or four movements in 3 hours but this was all for free except for food and drinks.
A much nicer experience than the very congested Leeds terminal we came from.

The doors on the main terminal front are deliberately set with alternate sets not in use at the moment as a new air curtain is to be installed so that people in the vicinity of those doors including the staff at the new welcome desk are not constantly exposed to the elements with them opening frequently. In the meantime, this is the work-round.

The doors on the main terminal front are deliberately set with alternate sets not in use at the moment as a new air curtain is to be installed so that people in the vicinity of those doors including the staff at the new welcome desk are not constantly exposed to the elements with them opening frequently. In the meantime, this is the work-round.

what a stupid thing to do - annoy passengers! it makes it look as if they are not working which makes the airport look bad at the first point of entry.

Speaking as a past project manager, the solution is simple communication. Put a sign on the door not working explain why it isn't and that it is just temporary. You cannot fit an air curtain behind a door if the door is in use. Health and Safety is paramount.

Speaking as a past project manager, the solution is simple communication. Put a sign on the door not working explain why it isn't and that it is just temporary. You cannot fit an air curtain behind a door if the door is in use. Health and Safety is paramount.

The airport isn’t open 24 hrs though. There is ample time to fit it outside hours if they wanted to limit disruption.

Have you seen how narrow the space is between the first and second doors? Not that easy when you have families or people with large cases trying to pass each other.

As I said it makes the airport look cheap. Frankly it would have been more sensible to close the entrance completely for a few days to do the work and send everyone through doors nearer Hall B. Having seen this arrangement in action the other week I thought it was shabby as did most of the other nearby passengers trying to get in or out at the time.

We all defend the airport as we all want it to succeed, but that doesn’t mean every decision that is made is actually right or defendable.

The airport isn’t open 24 hrs though. There is ample time to fit it outside hours if they wanted to limit disruption.
That's presuming there are sufficient staff employed to work at night, which there isn't. Maintenance team are grossly understaffed and have too much to do.

That's presuming there are sufficient staff employed to work at night, which there isn't. Maintenance team are grossly understaffed and have too much to do.

People not employed by the airport can be contracted to do it outside hours if necessary. Not every job needs to be done in-house. I also suggested an alternative.

What impression do you think the way it’s being done gives to the passengers LBA is trying to encourage to use the airport more?

Contracting out costs money, and at the moment they just won't spend. I completely agree that the impression is poor.

Am sure the airport would gladly accept a donation from you, if you want the door fixed quickly. :):)

Contracting out the work, can also work out cheaper and quicker than waiting around for it to be done by the airport's own Maintenance team.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the works are for outside the terminal front at the moment? There's a fence going round the place where the long stay car park bus pulls up and where arrow taxis are?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock