Local airport forums for reviews, information & discussion supporting the aviation industry with local forums for passengers & frequent flyers as well as enthusiasts, spotters & flight deck crews supporting the airport & airline industry.

• Advertisement

• Login
  • Advertisement

Jet2.com

Our local forum for Leeds Bradford Airport (LBA),All the latest information about Leeds Bradford Airport, the UK's 14th largest international airport situated in Leeds, the UK's largest financial centre outside of London. Discussion forum for passengers, spotters and enthusiasts.(LBA/EGNM).
Passenger numbers 3,277,707m, Oct 2013
Leeds Bradford Airport Photo Gallery
Information:
Quick links:
Board Index | Photo Gallery | Trip Reports | Enthusiasts | Frequent Flyer | Worldwide Airlines | Worldwide Airports | Feedback

Aviation Forum for Leeds Bradford Airport for discussions about all aspects of the airport. Our Leeds Bradford Airport Forum is ideally suited to Passengers, Frequent Flyers, Enthusiasts, Aircraft Spotters and Industry Professionals alike. Feel free to register and join in discussions. Visit our Leeds Bradford Airport Photo Gallery and our Yeadon Airport Nostalgia Gallery where you can upload your aircraft photos directly to Forums4airports. This is the only dedicated aviation forum to discuss all aspects of Leeds Bradford Airport.
  • Advertisement
Join Forums4airports

Re: Jet2.com

Postby chrisd80 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:51 am

Just returned on the first FUE to LBA flight. first time with Jet2, pretty good really. Surprised they used such a big aircraft 757.200, only about 50 to 60 pass, probably allot more going out. I wish now I had got the reg ex German judging by the labels on the toilet doors. Arrived about 2030hrs out on far apron and a bus back to the terminal.
chrisd80
Second Appraisal

Postby LBA787 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:04 pm

chrisd80 wrote:Just returned on the first FUE to LBA flight. first time with Jet2, pretty good really. Surprised they used such a big aircraft 757.200, only about 50 to 60 pass, probably allot more going out. I wish now I had got the reg ex German judging by the labels on the toilet doors. Arrived about 2030hrs out on far apron and a bus back to the terminal.

The flight was originally supposed to operate on a 733 G-CELC it then swapped to G-GDFK and finally operated on a 757 G-LSAB!

It has been terrible over the past few days with over 20 swaps yesterday alone... I really hope jet2 get there ship into gear or their gonna have an awful summer of delays. Before people point out I know G-GDFC is stuck in FNC, LB returned from VCE but there is spare capacity in their fleet it just seems the spare a/c are usually the ones that are knackered! The reason there spare is so they can receive the maximum amount of attention from the engineers!

I like jet2 very much, my other half works for them too but I think its time to get real and order some new a/c....

:crazy:

These users thanked the author LBA787 for the post:
chrisd80
Rating: 5.26316%

LBA787
Star Contributor

Postby chrisd80 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:52 am

LBA787 wrote:
chrisd80 wrote:Just returned on the first FUE to LBA flight. first time with Jet2, pretty good really. Surprised they used such a big aircraft 757.200, only about 50 to 60 pass, probably allot more going out. I wish now I had got the reg ex German judging by the labels on the toilet doors. Arrived about 2030hrs out on far apron and a bus back to the terminal.

The flight was originally supposed to operate on a 733 G-CELC it then swapped to G-GDFK and finally operated on a 757 G-LSAB!

It has been terrible over the past few days with over 20 swaps yesterday alone... I really hope jet2 get there ship into gear or their gonna have an awful summer of delays. Before people point out I know G-GDFC is stuck in FNC, LB returned from VCE but there is spare capacity in their fleet it just seems the spare a/c are usually the ones that are knackered! The reason there spare is so they can receive the maximum amount of attention from the engineers!

I like jet2 very much, my other half works for them too but I think its time to get real and order some new a/c....

:crazy:

Thanks for the reply.
It was really nice to see the Manchester bound aircraft leaving the gate as the Leeds inbound aircraft arrived. Jet2 are putting allot of effort into flights to and from Fuerteventura with flights from Manchester Glasgow as well as Leeds. A problem they might have is that the automatic announcements call "Channel Express" :nea: I fly in and out of FUE allot and so it was nice to have a change from Ryanair. I think Jet2 will make it work with holiday side of things British company British crews even the guy that checked me in was a Brit. From the details you gave of the aircraft scheduled on the Leeds Flight I think I was lucky to get off on time, maybe a special effort as it was the maiden flight. It looks like that aircraft is a 1988 vintage which is probably older that most of the crew! Jet2 are going head to head with Rryanair on these routes but with its older aircraft this has to be an disadvantage. For me it was a nice change but my choice will still be Ryanair as there departure and arrival a times are better and a cheaper basic fare. I don't think this will be enough to sway most British holiday makers as Ryanair and it's bad press will always make Jet2 a favourite.
chrisd80
Second Appraisal

Postby lbia » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:54 pm

New routes for next year:

Antayla
Malta
Kefalonia

At the expense of La Rochelle and Toulouse. Also looks to be 4 operational 757's at Leeds next summer at the moment. Obviously this could change but that's the plan for now.

These users thanked the author lbia for the post (total 4):
White HeatherbobleedsairlineslukeSNOWMAN 1
Rating: 21.05263%

lbia
Premium Member

Postby lbaspotter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Guess that confirms that Jet2 can’t or wont be able to expand out of there Leeds base any more due to there not been enough aircraft parking stands available if as you the 2x French summer services to La Rochelle and Toulouse are been dropped next summer as a direct result of these 3 new routes to be announced. It's such a shame as I can’t see these French route's been picked up by anyone else unless the airport's management can get flybe or a French regional airline in. So that’s going to be another market lost!
Let’s just hope that If Leeds is having 4x operational Jet2's Boeing 757-200 is not at the expense of losing 1x of the 2x based Boeing 737-800's but more the case of or more flights been upgraded by losing another Boeing 737-300?

I agree that the new additional Greek destination is a good one. Kefalonia will be a good route for the Jet2holidays product seen as it’s currently an un-served destination from Leeds and my guessing is that plenty of people who will want to use it. But with Antalya already operated 2x weekly by Monarch Airlines and Ryanair serving Malta up to 3 xs weekly now is there a proven demand for extra flights been added by Jet2?
lbaspotter
LBA Moderator

Postby ChurchFenton » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:57 pm

Personally, I'm extremely happy at the addition of Malta, have been hoping for them to add this route for some time and should work very well with the help of Jet2holidays.

Has there been an official announcement regarding the new routes, as they don't appear to be on the Jet2 website yet?
ChurchFenton
Second Appraisal

Postby nicholas1992 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:05 pm

Jet2Holidays will greatly help the all routes but especially Antalya with Indulgent escapes helping that. Antalya is a great destiantion for 5* luxury hotel resorts and there is a certain strip of them. I am really glad they have/are going to announce new destinations it makes me happy to see Jet2 expanding and in a way "pushing" hard upon Monarchs bread/butter.

Personally i would love to see some more expansion regards Summer 2015 however i feel that we are going to see very little to no frequency increases on routes that can deliver Volume passenger loads (Turkey (DLM), Spain, Canaries). I feel Summer 2015 will see Manchester grow yet again far faster then LBA and its sad to see but where the money is i guess.

Isn't it about time that Bridgepoint pulled a finger out and got us more parking stands? That way Jet2 can increase more based aircraft here and then thus the amount of flights they have on offer. Same for Ryanair/Monarch and a night stopper BA?

ps- The Blackpool Summer 15 programme is fully on sale.
pps - The frequency of these routes will probably be far lower then that of MAN/EMA and probably GLA. Do we know?
nicholas1992
Premium Member

Postby whoshotjimmi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:20 pm

It is such a disappointment to be losing these unique routes for what are essentially just bucket and spade jobs that are already served by other airlines. Then again, I have said this about Jet2 before. I still cannot help feeling that if they simply utilised their aircraft better, this would not be a problem. Additionally, it would be interesting to know for certain whether these routes would not be lost if LBA had more places to put planes. If it were, we could direct our frustration at LBA. I suspect though that the truth is Jet2 are simply dropping them, regardless of space at LBA.

With Jet2's increasingly uncompetitive prices and the likes of easyJet, Ryanair and Flybe having such a diverse product at Manchester, I believe we should now be looking at Jet2 in comparison with the likes of Thomson and Thomas Cook rather than scheduled low cost operators. Sadly, their portfolio and continuing streamlining make considering them as a scheduled option increasingly untenable. My business is already lined up at other airports this year as a result. Were it not for Jet2's short termism, I would have been able to fly from my local airport.

Still, if that is what Jet2 want to do and it is making them money, good for them.
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.
whoshotjimmi
Premium Member

Postby lbia » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 am

How can they better utilise their aircraft? The 3 757's leave between 06:30-07:30 and don't return back until 23:50-02:40. The 737's are pretty similar, all leaving between 06:45 and 08:30 and getting back 21:00-01:00. The only expection is the evening 19:30 AMS arrival. All based Jet2 aircraft do 4 or 6 sector days, most days. In contrast, Ryanair's LBA based aircraft are pretty much always back well before midnight.

Of course these routes would not be dropped if Jet2 could expand at LBA by putting in more aircraft, but you have to look at it logically. You mention how decisions are made to suit your business, well that's just what Jet2 management are doing. They are limited to 25 ish departures a day in summer from LBA so can only fly the routes that will make the most money! People seem to bang on about Jet2 only being interested in bucket and spade routes - well in reality that's only relevant at LBA because that's all they can make money on here. That's not only the case with Jet2, just think of all the city routes LBA has lost over the coming years. Every single route Jet2 serves, is also served by easyjet at their airports, are they now a bucket and spade operator too?LBA has a very local market, and with MAN next door it's never ever going to be able to compete. Look at the city offering Jet2 have from MAN:

Rome, Prague, Budapest, Nice, Paris, Barcelona, Toulouse, Venice, Pisa, Dubrovnik, Bergerac, Jersey, Turnin, Vienna. Most of these are either daily or 3-4 times a week. Jet2 are able to continually base extra aircraft at MAN each year and the portfolio and volume of routes there now far exceeds LBA. The fact is, LBA based airlines cannot significantly expand unless more parking space is created. In the mean time, the least profitable routes will face the chop to make way for new ones. OR for unique routes like Toulouse, Bergerac etc etc, as they are not a mainstream destination, move them to MAN and fly them from there as the Yorkshire population that need to get to these destinations will no doubt travel to take these flights from MAN. Jet2 are increasing capacity from MAN to Toulouse to directly absorb what was lost at LBA. Same for Bergerag which has gone down to once weekly from LBA, also notice at the same time, Bergerac has appeared as a new route from Manchester at twice a week. MAN will also gain Valencia next year, a route that was tried from LBA but again the aircraft could be used more profitably else where. Jet2, Ryanair etc etc are there to make money, not to please little airport supporters.

You also mention Jet2's "short-termism" - well surely stopping two flights a week to France that ran from June to September in favour of three routes that will run from May to November is better...?

People will always see positives and negatives in everything, but the simple fact is, Jet2 have 11 aircraft that are fully utilised at LBA. They can only make minor adjustments, gone are the days of adding 5 new routes at a time from LBA. From a business point of view, any airline would be down right crazy not to expand at Manchester instead of LBA based on the current situation. Jet2 will put another aircraft at MAN next year, new routes to Valencia, Malta, Antayla, Kefalonia, Madrid and capacity increased on existing routes. They are also leading an A330 rather than the Privilidge Stule 757 they leasing this year, again to facilitate major growth at MAN. Even Ryanair have realised this and have cut back their LBA programme but seen massive increase at MAN. It's all well and good blaming the airline and it's business model for cutting routes in favour of new ones, but if the airport allowed the airlines to expand then this simply wouldn't be happening. Is it really healthy for LBA to limit expansion because they are cash strapped to spend any more money, by it's two largest customers, and happily watch them throw money, aircraft and Yorkshire passengers into the pockets of MAN management? It's absolutely crazy. Businesses need to speculate to accumulate, now we are clearly coming out of recession, airline are starting to expand at a larger rate and yet again LBA is stuck in a rut whilst all the local comparable airports (MAN, EMA, NCL) will see decent growth over the next 12 months. I wish Bridgepoint would admit they were the wrong people to buy LBA and now they are totally stuck with an unprofitable business that cannot now get past 3.5 MPPA.

These users thanked the author lbia for the post (total 3):
yorkshireAp1995eastcoaster
Rating: 15.78947%

lbia
Premium Member

Postby imagineif » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 am

Toulouse always was a very niche route and a surprise to me when it was first announced.

Lets face it, Jet2 can make more money out of these newly proposed routes with the limited scope for growth/space they have from LBA.

In business you make decisions that make sense, if they didn't then they would not have got this far. A plethora of start ups have come and gone since Jet2 was launched.

Jet2 do now lean towards the "holiday airline" model and have transitioned towards that for the past few years now with the package company expanding and more aircraft sporting the holidays livery. It's serving them well and they are not pretending to be anything other than that.

For more niche routes from LBA people will have to look at connecting with legacy carriers. BA/KLM.

If you still want the convenience of stepping on-board at your local airport that is & the cost may surprise you.

April 2015 -

£219 - Based on a 1 week return flight with a connection in Amsterdam. Operated by KLM -
Setting off from LBA at 6AM and in landing in Toulouse by Lunch time :) I think that's quite a competitive fare with free drinks & snacks on board.

You can also do the route with BA :/ but its not a great connection & £377.51
imagineif
Regular Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Leeds Bradford Airport Forum