Re: A350 Test Flight

To preserve some sense of keeping to topic, what do people think of the chances of the 350 becoming a regular visitor to LBA at some point in the future and would it change the dynamics of the airport substantially if this was to occur?

In the short to medium term, its unlikely as there are currently no airlines at LBA who would require the A350 to be used at LBA.

It seems that barring a few exceptions, the B787 and A350 are not the trailblazing airliner that was promised to airports that desire 'long and thin' routes, but more of a way of making already served routes more profitable.

is this a direct competitor to the dreamliner i.e. able to go long distance from short runway

As far a Im aware, the A350 isn't being built to cope with short runways, but, just be lighter and more fuel efficient to fly longer routes more profitably.

Its bigger than the B787 and is more of a replacement for the early A330/A340 models.

It seems that barring a few exceptions, the B787 and A350 are not the trailblazing airliner that was promised to airports that desire 'long and thin' routes, but more of a way of making already served routes more profitable.

Both the A350 and the B787 are leading the way in the use of composite materials which reduce weight and light up the faces of airline bean counters as these aircraft are designed to use less fuel than comparable aircraft.

This also led to claims that airports with restricted runways would be at less of a handicap with this new breed of aircraft, and also that smaller airports with adequate runways already but with modestly-sized catchments for long routes would see more long haul because of the more favourable economic regime of the 'plastic plane' (alluded to by user 001 - the 'long and thin' routes).

Thus far there seems little evidence in the UK that the status quo has altered with regard to long haul airports.

Bristol, an airport similar to LBA in many respects, is in fact to lose its weekly summer TOM routes to Mexico and Florida (currently operated by a B 767, albeit the Cancun has to stop at MAN outbound to take on fuel) from next summer at a time when the B 787 was the great hope for its long haul charter future, a hope that was fuelled by the Thomson MD three years ago when she said that BRS would be in the first batch of airports to see regular use of the 787.

It's not entirely clear whether the Thomson decison is commercially-based or an operational one perhaps peculiar to BRS.

Whichever it is adds weight to user001's point that the 350 and 787 will not automatically be the panacea for all those smaller airports hoping for more long haul.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DC9qmo7roWc#![/video]

[textarea]A350 prepares for next stage of flight tests in August

Airbus has started preparing its A350-900 prototype for a second stage of flight tests, having completed initial assessments on primary aircraft systems.

The first flight-test aircraft, MSN1, has logged 92h flight time since first becoming airborne on 14 June.

Read more: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... st-388277/[/textarea]

EADS confirms plans to rename itself Airbus

The European Aeronautic Defence and Space (EADS) Company has confirmed plans to reorganise itself into three divisions and change its name to the globally recognised Airbus brand in a bid to become more competitive.

Read more>>>

Airbus delivers 8,000th aircraft – an A320 for AirAsia

Airbus has delivered its 8,000th aircraft – an A320 for the Indonesian wing of AirAsia. The aircraft took off from Toulouse, France on Saturday 3rd August and arrived earlier today at its new base in Jakarta.

800x600_1375681713_8000_Airbus_A320_AirAsia_Sharklet_01_.jpg

The delivery of the 8,000th Airbus aircraft highlights the manufacturer’s position as leader in the civil aircraft market, delivering airlines the most advanced, fuel efficient family of aircraft available today. The product line is also the most comprehensive ever offered by an aircraft manufacturer, covering every segment of the market from 100 to over 500 seats.

Source: Airbus

800x600_1375681714_8000_Airbus_A320_AirAsia_Sharklet_02_.jpg

IAG places order for 62 Airbus A320 Family for Vueling

International Airlines Group (IAG) and Vueling have signed a purchase agreement to buy 62 Airbus A320s – 30 A320ceo and 32 A320neo – plus options for 58 A320 Family aircraft, as part of the airline’s fleet development and modernisation strategy.

Read More>>>

7c768bda47.jpg

Thanks stephendavion.

I wonder why IAG decided to opt for a split A320 order between the CEO (Current Engine Optimisation) , NEO (New Engine Optimisation) and the standard version? Surely the NEO will offer the best fuel efficiency optimisation rather than the CEO.

Airbus’ new U.S. A320 Family final assembly facility is ready to take shape

Approximately 85 per cent of the more than 2,100 pilings of the final assembly line hangar and service building at the new Brookley Aeroplex site have been driven into the earth, providing a foundation that ensures the buildings and hangars will be strong and resistant – capable of withstanding conditions that include hurricane-strength winds. Following the completion of this activity, steelwork is planned to begin next month – during which the buildings’ frame, skin and roof will be constructed.

read more>>>

Harbin Composite Manufacturing Centre begins elevator delivery for A350 XWB aircraft

Harbin Hafei Airbus Composite Manufacturing Centre (HMC), a joint venture between Airbus and its Chinese partners, has started delivery of elevators for the Airbus A350 XWB aircraft.

Read more>>>

VietJetAir to acquire up to 100 new A320 Family aircraft

Vietnam’s VietJetAir has signed a Memorandum of Understanding for up to 92 A320 Family aircraft and will lease eight more from third party lessors. The purchase agreement signed with Airbus today covers for 42 A320neo, 14 A320ceo and six A321ceo, plus 30 purchase rights for the A320 Family. (source)

8be213a45e.jpg

Mexican carrier VivaAerobus places order for 52 Airbus A320 aircraft

Mexican airline VivaAerobus has signed an agreement for purchasing 52 Airbus A320 family aircraft, in a deal worth $5.1bn that marks the biggest Airbus aircraft order by a single airline in Latin America. Source

5723c45fe2544349ea1c2ccb6df9d603.jpg

Thanks stephendavion, that's a massive order. The A320 series is really gathering momentum. How does the Airbus aircraft sales compare with Boeing's 737 sales does anybody know?

Airbus family in one picture ....

1535457_224126884426559_1138350408_n.jpg

Which one you like the most????

1) A310
2) A318
3) A319
4) A320
5) A321
6) A330-200
7) A330-300
8) A340-200
9) A340-300
10)A340-500
11)A340-600
12)A350-800
13)A350-900
14)A350-1000
15)A380

Which one you like the most????

I think the 340 series is possibly the best looking but I've never flown in one.

I have flown in 310s, 319s, 320s, 321s and 380s, mainly in the 319s and 320s. I've flown the 319-320-321 series with probably a dozen different airlines and have found them all comfortable, certainly for flights up to four hours.

Recently I've used the 380 on long haul on a few occasions and I can't say it's my favourite wide-bodied aircraft to fly in - I prefer the B 777 - and the 380 also looks rather ugly in my view. Perhaps a stretched version, if that was ever feasible, would improve its looks. For its size it has a somewhat stubby appearance.

So far as short haul Airbus types I like the A319. I've always felt the A318 and the A320 look disproportionate in size in relation to their engines. The A321 looks particularly good and it looks very similar to the Boeing 757-200 which is an aircraft I have always been fond of.

In the long haul Airbus variants, the 340 is probably my favourite also followed by the 330-200 series. Again, the longer variants look disproportionate. The A380 is big and clumpy. I'm sure it works well from an airline prospective but it isn't aesthetically pleasing. As for the newer variants A350-800 and 900, the jury's out, I'm undecided.

Which Airbus types have I flown on? Well, I've flown on the A320, A321 and the A300, and the A330-200.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock