Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
I've just added some new smilies to the forum.
:LOL: :whiteflag: :wink@ :hatsoff: :rockon: :bomb: :coco: :dance:

There's more to come when I get time!

TheLocalYokel - I was thinking of you when I added this one: :hatsoff:

Re: New Features for all...

Right, thank you. I appreciate it.

Although I grew up in a generation where many of the older people did wear hats I can't abide headgear, although for the first time this winter I've bowed to the nagging (sorry, sensible advice) of my wife and worn a modern version of what I would call a balaclava in the particularly cold days we've seen.

I ought really to get a Worzel G hat though. Would be appropriate because my wife says I sometimes look like a scarecrow.

She's lovely really though and took me hobnobbing amongst the social elite of Bath today. Very posh place. Had to remember not to shove cheese into my mouth with my knife and above all to refrain from drinking my tea from the saucer - makes too loud a slurping noise.

• Admin

A couple more BBcodes added this evening.

Firstly this one....

[hi-lighty:2wep3vas]Yellow highlight[/hi-lighty:2wep3vas]

and also...

[strike]Strike though[/strike]

or both together...

[hi-lighty:2wep3vas][strike]Both together[/strike][/hi-lighty:2wep3vas]

• Admin

We're having some forum upgrades done over the next week or so. Hopefully there wont be any downtime but if there is, I apologies in advance.

I'm going to keep the new features under wraps for the time being but I trust you will all like them.

• Admin

We have new news & weather feeds. The weather feeds are for each individual airport featured. If you are still having difficulty viewing these new features please clear your browser cache and refresh the webpage.

There's more new features still to come. Ashley (our maintenance man) is currently working hard to implement the next new major feature. Hopefully it will be with us over the next few days!

• Admin

Forums4airports would like to announce our latest gadget! We now have our own dedicated Photography Gallery where all registered members of Forums4airports can upload their own pictures direct to the site. The gallery offers you the ability to use url links direct to your photos that are hosted right here at Forums4airports so you'll be able to share photos with your friends and colleagues. The new function means you no longer have to use external photo host sites such as Flickr to display your pictures here. Images uploaded may require initial authorisation to prevent abuse of the facility. This doesn't apply to Premium or Premium GOLD members.

Have fun!! :hatsoff:

gallery/index.php (also located at the top of the forum index page, within the Photography Forum and as a sub forum of the Photography Forum on the index page.

Edit: This is a new feature so if anybody notices any problems let me know.

• Admin

Some forum updates will be taking place over the next few days. There maybe some down time or periods when things look odd. Here's a render of the new look we're aiming for, or at least similar to how it will look....

image.php

So the main changes are:

Recent Posts block on the index page.

Recent Gallery Picture on index page.

Permanent Forum News panel

More compact information with less sprawl.

If anybody has anything to add, request or disapprove of, be quick.

• Admin

The new layout is live. I've already noticed a bug with login on and off. If anybody notices anything else let me know. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aviador said:
The new layout is live. I've already noticed a bug with login on and off. If anybody notices anything else let me know. ;)

The login on and off bug has been resolved. :good:

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm afraid I dislike the loss of when the last posting was made being visible on the index page or is it that I am missing something. If I'm not missing something can we have that feature back please?

Got to be honest, not a huge fan of the new layout.

I preferred the old layout as I personally used the 'recent posts' tab more, and provided a decent list of what was being discussed across a larger sub-section.

The same tab now has about 5-6 topics only, and it means having to trawl through the individual airport forums to see if Ive missed anything.

I preferred the old layout as I personally used the 'recent posts' tab more, and provided a decent list of what was being discussed across a larger sub-section.

The same tab now has about 5-6 topics only, and it means having to trawl through the individual airport forums to see if Ive missed anything.

Whenever I log on I always click on View New Posts which lists every thread with a new post since I was last on the website. As you point out the Recent Posts feature only lists the most recent and it's possible to miss something earlier, albeit posted since a member last logged on, that might be of interest. It's easy to ignore those threads with new posts that don't interest an individual.

The View New Posts feature remains.

Re: New Forum Layout Feedback

Hi Guys and Gals.

Thank you for the feedback.

The main reasons for carrying out the work are outlined here:

The new layout is much more compact meaning the content of the site is nearer the top so new visitors can see what we're all about much quicker.

We've created space allowing us to have the most recent gallery photo linked to the index page. I think a lot of new visitors don't even know we have our own photo gallery where you can upload your aviation pictures.

Underneath the gallery image is the block containing the most recent posts. This is meant for quick reference. They link directly to the last post made in those particular threads.

I have taken on board the points raised and added an additional links at the top right of the site named "Unread Posts" ;"Unanswered Posts" and "New Posts" which takes you to the page listing all the posts since your last visit.

If you're trying to access the new link feature without being logged on you will be prompted to log-on first.

Feel free to make further suggestion.

airforced said:
I'm afraid I dislike the loss of when the last posting was made being visible on the index page or is it that I am missing something. If I'm not missing something can we have that feature back please?

The new Recent Posts provides a direct link to the very latest posts submitted to the forum.

user001 said:
Got to be honest, not a huge fan of the new layout.

I've now added new links to the most recent posts where you can see the full list of new posts, not just the 5 most recent.

Last edited:
The new layout has been up and running for a couple of weeks or so now. Are you all finding your way around the site better now?

Re: Re: Mobile Forum layout feedback...

Is Forums4airports mobile-friendly?

Starting 21 April, Google Search will be expanding its use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal.

Some readers may or may not be aware Google has recently made these changes. Forums4airports used to have a mobile friendly version of the site but it was removed after experiencing some issues with it.

Over recent weeks I have made a significant investment into the site to improve it's desktop usability. Google now requires us to upgrade the site once again to maintain the sites ranking.

The work isn't going to be done straight away because it requires a large software upgrade to enable it to happen at a further significant financial cost to the forum.

As I look to develop the site further I am interested to know what our users would most like to see on a mobile site? It is inevitable that some parts of the forum might not be viewable on a mobile version of the site so it's important to get it right from the start.

Hi guys and gals.

I didn't realise but with the new forum software we have the ability to write a blog. As an example this could be one for the entire site giving more in depth details of news from each forum or it could be used at local level to provide information about a specific airport.

Is anybody willing to contribute content if we decide to pursue this?

I suppose many people's idea of a blog involves someone putting down their thoughts about all manner of things in a continual series of posts on a website, often their own website.

Is it envisaged that if someone or more than one is/are interested that he/she/they would be expected to post thoughts on a regular basis or could it be just an occasional or even a one-off exercise for that person/those persons?

If someone, for example, submitted a blog on Airport A is it expected/hoped that other members would respond to develop the subject? If so, I wonder what real difference there is between such a blog and a post (with responses) in the normal course of the forum.

Don't take this as pouring cold water on the idea. I'm really trying to find out a bit more of the way it might proceed.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock