Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Dear LBA Support Group

I am writing to provide an exciting update on Leeds Bradford Airport.

Today, we are announcing over a £100m investment into a vital regeneration of the terminal facilities at LBA which will dramatically improve the experience of passengers travelling to and from Yorkshire and help unlock economic growth for the region. Please see a selection of CGIs attached to give you an idea of the look and feel of the project.

Approved by Leeds City Council, the work is set to commence in autumn 2023 and is expected to complete in 2026.

We’re proud to have served our region since 1931, and we believe that Leeds, Bradford and Yorkshire deserve an outstanding regional airport that meets the status and aspirations of its communities. This multi-million-pound investment into LBA will futureproof our airport for years to come and ensure it can continue to be a turbocharger for our region’s economy.

By 2030, the regeneration has the potential to create 1,500 new direct jobs at LBA and 4,000 new indirect jobs, as well as contribute a total of £940 million to the local economy.

As Yorkshire’s main commercial airport, we will ensure LBA meets the demand for flights in our region that is efficient, sustainable, and more enjoyable for passengers. Please find an infographic attached which provides an overview of what the regeneration will deliver for passengers and the region.

Since opening in 1968, LBA’s current terminal has had multiple small extensions but has remained largely the same. The regeneration will see a 9,500 sq. mt., three storey extension to the existing terminal, alongside a significant refurbishment of the current terminal building. Passengers will benefit from the creation of additional aircraft stands, more seating, faster security, new shops and eateries, and a larger baggage reclaim area and immigration hall, as well as improved access for passengers with restricted mobility.

The regeneration will also help LBA to further decarbonise its operations, as outlined in the airport’s 2030 Net Zero Carbon Roadmap, with the installation of new heating, lighting and machinery, including new baggage belts. With an upgraded LBA, we expect to see airlines investing in new destinations and deploying their newest, quietest and most efficient aircraft at the airport.

As I hope you will agree, this investment marks a hugely exciting opportunity for the region. For more information and to keep you updated with the project’s progress, I would encourage you to view the project’s dedicated webpage at www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/regen If you have any comments or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Vincent

Chief Executive Officer

Leeds Bradford Airport

PDF of the REGEN

Attachments

• Terminal Regeneration Infographic[2134].pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
  • Admin
One of the things I haven't seen in all the bumph now released is how the gate system will work. In the original plans for the same terminal extension there were very clearly defined gates for passenger egress onto the apron. With the latest CGI it doesn't show this but it would be good to see how they plan to do this with some visualisations. Also, the new plans show a new route to egress from the arrivals hall which seems to take you through close to what is currently the passenger security area. It would be good to get a better idea of how this might look once complete. In addition to that, at the last consultative committee meeting the airport explained a possible change in rules governing the sale of duty free,. They said it might soon be possible to have an arrival duty free. Again it would be good so see where they might possibly put this.

One of the things I haven't seen in all the bumph now released is how the gate system will work. In the original plans for the same terminal extension there were very clearly defined gates for passenger egress onto the apron. With the latest CGI it doesn't show this but it would be good to see how they plan to do this with some visualisations. Also, the new plans show a new route to egress from the arrivals hall which seems to take you through close to what is currently the passenger security area. It would be good to get a better idea of how this might look once complete. In addition to that, at the last consultative committee meeting the airport explained a possible change in rules governing the sale of duty free,. They said it might soon be possible to have an arrival duty free. Again it would be good so see where they might possibly put this.
The arrivals duty free is shown on the layout plan

The new Terminal extension was also reported tonight by Peter Levy on BBC Look North (Humberside and Lincolnshire) broadcast from Hull. No adverse comments, Peter was always supportive of LBA when he lived in Aireborough and worked for both Bradford’s Pennine Radio and later BBC Leeds.

BH

Why has my post been changed?

This really shouldn't come as news to you but the group that shall not be named get enough free coverage from the BBC without us constantly giving them free air time. Do you see them referencing the Airport Support Group in their bumph or on the BBC. I'm not going to apologise for removing their disingenuous name from this site. Furthermore we have a dedicated thread specifically talking about how the media portray LBA which is where your comment would be better placed.

This really shouldn't come as news to you but the group that shall not be named get enough free coverage from the BBC without us constantly giving them free air time. Do you see them referencing the Airport Support Group in their bumph or on the BBC. I'm not going to apologise for removing their disingenuous name from this site. Furthermore we have a dedicated thread specifically talking about how the media portray LBA which is where your comment would be better placed.
I dont think it makes a blind bit of difference personally.

I feel sure there will be a fly through video soon covering both the arrivals and departures routes taken by passengers..
Something else noted is the lack of any alterations to B hall internally or externally and how the regeneration might impact or alter the current offices above arrivals and what was the boardroom .

Something else noted is the lack of any alterations to B hall internally or externally and how the regeneration might impact or alter the current offices above arrivals and what was the boardroom .
Given those offices were refurbished relatively recently I doubt they are impacted at all and are outside the scope if this project - hence not shown.
Why would there be any changes to Hall B? It's fine as it is.

Given those offices were refurbished relatively recently I doubt they are impacted at all and are outside the scope if this project - hence not shown.
Why would there be any changes to Hall B? It's fine as it is.

I wouldn’t call it fine. It suffices as it is and does it purpose. But it really ought to become a concrete fixture with a decent roof and walls etc.

Likewise that baggage hall from check in hall B needs to become a permanent building not a very decent tent.

However I’m not complaining as we have got some very decent work going on, not what we could of had, but none the less. Very decent and I’m happy. Be interesting to see peak hours in the new security zone - I suspect traffic will flow a lot better than it does now.

My only criticism would be it would be nice to have a direct entry from Check in Hall b into the security hall.

I wouldn’t call it fine. It suffices as it is and does it purpose. But it really ought to become a concrete fixture with a decent roof and walls etc.

Likewise that baggage hall from check in hall B needs to become a permanent building not a very decent tent.

However I’m not complaining as we have got some very decent work going on, not what we could of had, but none the less. Very decent and I’m happy. Be interesting to see peak hours in the new security zone - I suspect traffic will flow a lot better than it does now.

My only criticism would be it would be nice to have a direct entry from Check in Hall b into the security hall.
On your last point, the two are not adjacent so it's impossible. But, they are providing a central entry point to security midway between Halls A and B, so checked in passengers approach it from opposite ends but don't cross over, unlike now. And both sets of passengers only have a short walk to security.

The other major plus is that there's less of the going backwards and forwards up and down the terminal. That in itself considerably reduces the passenger walking distance.

Appoint worth noting is that to make the baggage area for Hall B permanent as you suggest would require Planning Approval. It's likely that would be given as a seperate application, but no way will the airport want to get that involved with this. The last thing they need now is to submit a planning application.

Last edited:
The other major plus is that there's less of the going backwards and forwards up and down the terminal. That in itself considerably reduces the passenger walking distance.

This is what I thought. And the volume from B versus A will be considerable! So it's really up to Jet2 to manage the flow working with the airport.

Appoint worth noting is that to make the baggage area for Hall B permanent as you suggest would require Planning Approval. It's likely that would be given as a seperate application, but no way will the airport want to get that involved with this. The last thing they need now is to submit a planning application.

Yup. Lets stay away from the anti economy anti common sense council morons for now.

Really been blown away by the positive and vocal response from the WY Mayor to £100m investment in transport in her county 🤣. Last week she, Leeds MP Rachel Reeves and her party were calling out on how investment is needed in transport in the North to encourage growth. A week later they get £100m and guess what not even a sqeak!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock