ADVERTISEMENT

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome back to the site Guest !

Melbourne International Airport (MEL)

Discussion in 'Worldwide Airport Forum' started by News Guru, Mar 5, 2017.

1. News Guru

News Guru Administrator

Media:
  2. News Guru

News Guru Administrator

Media:
    Melbourne Airport pockets $1.1bn in exorbitant carparking fees
    MELBOURNE airport has raked in $1.1 billion in carparking charges in the past decade.

The unpopular fees tore $135.3 million from users last year — more than $370,000 a day, an Australian Competition and Consumer Commission review shows.

Revenue continued to outstrip other major airports monitored nationwide last financial year, despite dipping by $11.7 million compared to the previous year.

Customers are slugged “drive-up” rates of $5 for up to 15 minutes, $10 for 15-30 minutes, $15 for an hour and $59 for a day at Melbourne’s terminal carparks.

Seven-day parking is $99 at the long-term carpark.

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...s/news-story/df48058ab678ab52d1249d2635f91759

3. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

At MEL you can still drive right up to outside the entrance to the terminal to offload passengers and luggage - no charge but, sensibly, they have staff patrolling to make sure that no-one abuses this by remaining for an unwarranted period.

4. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    It's the same at PDX both for arrivals and departures. Also you have access to public transport and hotel shuttle buses at arrivals as well. They'll even call your hotel to let them know you are ready for pick up.

5. TheLocalYokel

The UK became terminal-front sensitive after terrorists (I think one was a doctor) drove a vehicle into the front of the terminal at Glasgow Airport. Not all nations followed suit in banning most vehicles from getting to the front of terminal buildings.

I've never travelled through Portland Airport but I remember that, pre 9/11, all US airports I used allowed anyone, including those seeing passengers off, to gain access right up to the departure gates. Everyone went through a rudimentary screening procedure in my experience but there were so many people going through the very light security that it was only a token gesture.

6. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    There is curbside check in for some of the airlines and the odd policeman but no screening. You basically walk right in to the check in desks. I guess they've never had an incident like the one at Glasgow so probably don't see it as a risk.

7. TheLocalYokel

If something doesn't happen in the USA it's of no importance is a feeling that seems to drive the credo of the American psyche. After 9/11 they immediately became (in their eyes) the world's foremost authority on terrorism, conveniently ignoring the mass of experience acquired over many decades by the UK with the IRA, and Europe with their home-grown terrorists in such countries as Spain and Germany.

I've met many lovely American people over the years but as a nation they are extremely insular.

Aviador, Jerry and ethanegcc like this.
  8. Aviador

Aviador Administrator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    So it would seem it's not just the UK that has exorbitant parking charges but as TLY says, at least meeters and greeters can drive up to the terminal front to pick up and drop off at Melbourne airport.