News Guru

Administrator
Apr 10, 2010
EUROPE
European-Union
Yahoo Finance reports that Sydney Airport has enjoyed its strongest growth in passenger numbers in six years, with almost 42 million passing through the country's busiest airport in 2016.

I did domestic flights in and out of Sydney a few years ago. We departed at teatime and the scenes were chaotic.

That part of the terminal was unpleasantly overcrowded and the check-in queues snaked all over the place.

We were using Jetstar (Qantas's low cost subsidiary) for a flight to Avalon in Victoria and all Jetstar passengers had to use one queue for various destinations. The end of the queue gave access to any number of check-in desks so you fanned out when you reached the end to go to the next available check-in desk/luggage drop.

The snag was it was taking about half an hour to get to the end of the queue and the departure board gave a time for each destination from which that check-in was open. Because of the length of the queue you had to judge when to join the beginning so that you didn't reach the end before your time.

I hope they've since managed a better system.

Sydney Airport awarded Australian Airport of the Year
  • Sydney Airport recognised at Australian Airports Association’s (AAA) National Airport Industry Awards
  • Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Kerrie Mather acknowledged for Outstanding Contribution to the Airport Industry
  • Sydney Airport continues its investment program to deliver a world-class airport experience
Sydney Airport has won the Australian Airports Association’s prestigious Airport of the Year Award. The AAA National Airport Industry Awards, held last night in Adelaide, celebrate and honour excellence within Australia’s airport industry.

“It’s a huge honour for Sydney Airport to be recognised as the Australian airport of the year by our industry peers,” Sydney Airport Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Kerrie Mather said.

“I’d like to acknowledge my leadership team, staff and airport partners for their contribution to making Sydney Airport Australia’s premier airport.”

The airport also won the Airport Innovation and Excellence – Operations Award for its state-of-the-art Integrated Operations Centre.

Ms Mather was recognised at the event for her outstanding contribution to the airport industry, including her leadership role in driving aviation and tourism growth.

“I’m very grateful and humbled to receive the Outstanding Contribution to the Airport Industry Award, and I’m proud to be part of Australia’s dynamic and diverse aviation industry,” Ms Mather said.

“I’ve been privileged to spend most of my career in aviation and infrastructure, both internationally and locally, and I can honestly say that Australian airports are among the best in class airports in the world with the calibre of industry talent to match.

“During my time with Sydney Airport over the past 15 years, I’ve focused on improving the airport experience, enhancing operational efficiency and putting the customer at the heart of everything we do.

“I’ve very much enjoyed the collaborative relationships we’ve formed at Sydney Airport, working with our airline, government and industry partners to grow tourism for the benefit of Sydney, NSW and Australia.

“I’m supported by a strong team, whom I’m enormously proud of, and this award is testament to their hard work and dedication.”

AAA Chief Executive Officer Caroline Wilkie acknowledged Ms Mather’s significant contribution to the aviation industry.

“Kerrie’s been a transformative influence on the Australian aviation sector during a time of significant growth and change,” Ms Wilkie said.

“She’s not only led a significant investment program at Sydney Airport, she’s also forged strong partnerships with government, industry and the community to support economic growth and lead tourism development.

“Kerrie’s oversight of Australia’s busiest airport has been truly outstanding, with many in the industry also benefiting from her advice and mentorship over the course of their careers.”

Ms Mather has more than 20 years of international aviation sector experience, including as Sydney Airport’s Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer since 2011 and board member since 2002. She has led an investment program of more than $4 billion since 2002 across Sydney Airport’s airfield, terminals and roads.

Sydney Airport currently has over 200 improvement programs underway. Over the past year, the airport has:

• Opened a state-of-the-art Integrated Operations Centre to improve operational resilience and efficiency;
  • Continued its T1 improvement program to deliver a step change in the customer experience;
  • Achieved Level Three Airport Carbon Accreditation for its reduction of carbon emissions and engagement of stakeholders to reduce their emissions;
  • Embraced new technology, including becoming the first organisation outside greater China to implement Baidu Maps;
  • Revitalised its retail and dining offering with Australian and airport first brands;
  • Opened the new Mantra Hotel at T2/T3;
  • Expanded its community investment program supporting charities, sporting clubs, the arts and community organisations; and
  • Neared completion of its $500 million ground transport improvement program in partnership with the NSW Government, one year ahead of schedule.

The improvements would be worthwhile if my experience of SYD a few years ago is typical. My wife and I flew from SYD to Melbourne Avalon (near Geelong) with Jetstar (Qantas low cost airline). The airline was fine but the domestic terminal at SYD then was chaotic with very few refreshment outlets for an airport of SYD's size and public seats in short supply. It was in the tea time rush but I expected better of SYD.

Apparently the wind was gusting to 55 knots earlier in the day and some aircraft were diverting to Melbourne.

New Sydney-Tokyo service takes off with All Nippon Airways
  • All Nippon Airways (ANA) will add a second daily Sydney service to Haneda, Tokyo from March 2020
  • New service represents increase of 180,000 seats to the route and expected to grow Japanese visitor arrivals by 36,000 annually
  • Boost to NSW economy estimated to reach $72m every year, with Japan the fastest-growing market for Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport has welcomed a boost to its schedule of direct flights to Japan, thanks to the launch of a second daily Sydney to Haneda service with ANA.
Hugh Wehby, Chief Operating Officer, Sydney Airport, said the new service would tap into the demand for two-way travel between Japan and Australia.
“Japan has grown to become a favourite destination for Australians who recognise the unique culture, cuisine and nightlife, with Japan now the 8th ranked destination for Sydneysiders’ overseas trips,” he said.
“It’s also clear that Japan’s love-affair with Sydney has continued with Japanese visitors firmly entrenched in our top five list of international visitors.
Despite Japan being a mature market, in the 12 months to September 2019 it was our fastest growing, with the number of Japanese residents visiting Sydney increasing by 34 percent.”
ANA’s Ryo Sadayuki, Managing Director, Australia/Oceania Region & GM, Sydney said:
“ANA are thrilled to be the first airline with a double daily departure from Sydney to Tokyo.
“2020 is going to be a significant year for tourism to Japan and our new schedule provides us with the opportunity to introduce more customers to ANA’s 5 star quality products and services, as well as generate more travellers not only to Tokyo but other regions with our convenient onward domestic connections.”

The new service will be serviced by a 246-seat Boeing 787-9 and will augment the existing daily ANA service to Haneda launched in 2015.

To launch the route ANA will be offering sale fares from 28 January starting at $725 return, including taxes and fees, for travel between 29 March and 30 November 2020.

The new service will bring to four the total number of daily flights between Sydney and Haneda, with Qantas also operating a daily service and Japanese Airlines (JAL) set to switch its daily Tokyo Narita service to Haneda from 29 March 2020.

Flight Schedule
Sydney-Tokto schedule

The airport was very quiet when we landed at 6am yesterday morning. Had to wait 10mins to get on stand and then another 20mins for quaranteen officer to clear the aircraft before we were allowed to disembark.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock