ethanegcc

Jul 10, 2016
UK
This is a thread for the competition of VS/DL and TCX on transatlantic flights out of MAN.

They now compete on MAN-BOS/MAN-SFO/MAN-MCO/MAN-JFK directly and with VS possibly launching LAX and MIA against TCX in the future, there will be even more competition.

View attachment 4115

Battle 1: Manchester (MAN) to Boston Logan (BOS)

A route not resumed until this year, two carriers will compete on the route next year. TCX with their Airbus A330-200 with 49 PE seats and 273 Y seats, whilst Virgin with their A330-300 will have 33 Upper Class, 48 PE and 185 Y seats.

For a random date in May, the prices were relatively close, considering VS is a full service carrier, compared to TCX.

View attachment 4116
Battle 2: Manchester (MAN) to San Francisco (SFO)

A route currently unserved, in 2017, two carriers will enter the market, with VS being the first to start in March. Both airlines will operate the same aircraft as they do to BOS, with VS marketing the route as a business route connecting the tech industries of the UK regions to Silicon Valley. We hope VS will continue through the winter months.

For a random date in May, VS/DL were actually undercutting TCX by £6, but both airlines are giving very similar prices.

Battle 2 - Who wins on a wider scale?
View attachment 4117

For the same random date in May, AF/KL is actually the cheapest way via CDG/AMS, followed by VS/DL direct, followed by AA/BA via either PHL or ORD, followed by TCX direct.

Pretty good to see our direct options are on par with the 1 stops.

Great idea for a thread but is the battle so clear cut? I mean for many passengers the price is the most important aspect of a journey, as such should you be considering comparing prices from the hub airports with the likes of KLM, Air France and BA etc?

Battle 1: Who wins on a wider scale?
View attachment 4118

For the same random date, TCX tops the list direct with £370 and VS/DL is second with approx. £420 either direct or via AMS. The next cheapest option is Lufthansa at £436 and then EI.

Many thanks Ethan. Very interesting to see those price comparisons.

Did you by any chance have a look at how P/E prices compared for TCX and VS?

On VS, approx 30% of the 266 seats are premium, including Upper Class.
On TCX, the P/E cabin is only about 15% of the 322 seat capacity.

Must admit I was quite surprised to see VS cheaper on SFO albeit not by much.

Premium Economy for VS on those dates was £1112 return for one adult, whereas TCX Premium Economy was £749, but I have seen VS PE around the £800 mark. Virgin upper class was £2296.

Battle 3: Manchester (MAN) - New York (JFK/EWR)
View attachment 4119

(This happens to be the date that VS and DL switch over for the summer season)

Generally, VS/DL and TCX are always at the top with AA and UA lagging behind.

Good to see the SFO, BOS and SFO flights are competetive on price in Economy.

The price difference to AA on JFK is remarkable. If VS/DL can find a way to make MAN-JFK year round and daily on the A333, AA should have reason to be concerned.

The one area where connecting options will have an advantage for the foreseeable is that SFO/BOS are presently seasonal and relatively infrequent services (no more than 3x weekly. Whether MAN can sustain a more frequent year round service at this stage is up for debate.

It will be interesting to look back on this debate in 2/3 years time, when we may see a number of new operators (e.g. Norwegian) on a number of these routes.

Battle 3: Who wins on a wider scale?
View attachment 4120

KLM and AF both beat VS/DL to the post, even though, ironically KLM codeshares on DL's flight. DL/VS are next, followed by TCX.

Battle 4: Manchester (MAN) to Philadelphia (PHL)
View attachment 4121

Going a bit off topic as neither VS nor DL operate the route from MAN, however MAN's direct PHL flight comes out top, with MAN's direct ORD flight coming second. Neither are a good price to be honest, but it is good the directs come out on top.

Battle 5: Manchester (MAN) to Washington DC (IAD)
View attachment 4122

Coming out top is Icelandair via KEF at £531, followed by TCX/B6 via JFK at £550, followed by SAS via CPH at £575, followed by a shorter KEF connection for Icelandair at £579, followed by our own UA direct at £753, followed by Lufthansa at £780 and LH/UA at £790.

Not too bad; I would probably still book the direct option at this price although FI is tempting.

Battle 5: Manchester (MAN) to Chicago (ORD):
View attachment 4124

Coming out top is EI via DUB at £534, followed by TCX/B6 at £546, followed by SAS at £575, followed by FI at £622, followed by our own AA direct at £726, followed by BA at £742 via LHR.

Battle 6: Manchester (MAN) to Houston (IAH)
View attachment 4125
Our own SQ direct comes out on top at £412 (£300 cheaper than east coast flights, despite the longer duration!),
AA via PHL or ORD for £425, Air France for £450.

Very good, seeming as three direct tatl flights from MAN come out on top.

Battle 7: Manchester (MAN) to Los Angeles (LAX):
View attachment 4126
Our own direct TCX comes out on top for £450,
TCX/B6 via JFK comes out second at £520, EI via DUB comes out at £599.

Interesting debate.

Out of curiosity is anybody able to do eg
Paris San Francisco
Amsterdam Boston

Etc etc

Do any of those airports connet via Manchester ?

Interesting debate.

Out of curiosity is anybody able to do eg
Paris San Francisco
Amsterdam Boston

Etc etc

Do any of those airports connet via Manchester ?
Yes, I will do this in a moment, thinking the same myself!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock