jfy1999

Staff member
Apr 25, 2015
Birmingham/Austria
This thread is for news and discussion on airline liveries. If an airline is changing its livery, or painting aircraft in a special scheme, let us know here!

Also feel free to discuss liveries that you personally love (or hate), as well as liveries from the past.

Re: Airline and aircraft liveries

For me it would take something very impressive indeed to beat Hekla Aurora although I very much like the ANA Star Wars livery. I do have a soft spot for all of the retro schemes with the Lufthansa one my personal favourite.

That's the first time that I've seen Westjets Frozen livery, it's very good and I'm sure would be a hit with my little one.

Painting Hekla Aurora

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov_zbezOy5w[/video]

Nice idea for a thread!

I agree the Icelandair Hekla Aurora is a difficult one to beat. For standard liveries I used to like Cosmo, sadly they're no longer flying.

View media item 700Cosmo A320, LY-COM by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

Last edited by a moderator:

I am a fan of Etihads 2 logo jets.

A6-AFA A330-300. This is is a purple 'visit Abu Dhabi' scheme.
A6-EHJ A340-600. This in the Formula 1 livery.

View media item 1452Pepsi Concorde,F-BTSD, by IL76MAN, hosted on Forums4airports.com

Pepsi Concorde is one of my favourite retro livery's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is there anyone in the industry who could answer my question as to whether there is any definitive evidence that an airline's livery can increase or decrease its share of the market?

I've always presumed that most potential passengers will look at price, convenience (ie a nearby airport with a good frequency and/or timing) and airline reputation. Some people might not like turbo props or very small aircraft and others might be concerned at a particular period in time about a specific aircraft type, eg the DC 10 in days of yore.

I understand that a striking livery might bring an airline to the attention of a would-be passenger but would it entice that person to book if other parameters with competing airlines were equal? It might in the case of a keen aviation fan but I'm thinking of the passenger community at large.

I draw a distinction between an airline's name appearing prominently on the fuselage and its livery. The former is obviously extremely important as it advertises itself to everyone when at airports, some of whom might be using other airlines and are unaware that the other airline operates at a particular airport.

A good logo is also of importance - Pan Am's globe, Delta's triangle, Lufthansa's crane, KLM's crown, Aer Lingus's shamrock, or even BA's ribbon are very recognisable.

Sadly many airlines are dispensing with logos and liveries that have made them famous. American's new livery is all right in itself but in my opinion it was wrong to dispense with the double A sign. The same goes for Iberia and their IB logo.

I read that the Pepsi livery meant the Concorde couldn't fly at Mach 2 for more than 20 minutes at a time and therefore had to be used for shorter haul flights. I suppose it must have been something to do with fuel burn?

https://m.planespotters.net/photo/58426 ... -777-39per

China Eastern Airlines' new livery has polarised aircraft spotters. Some think it's a lot smarter and more modern than the old livery. Others have called it overly bland and compared it to the sort of livery a leasing company would use (because it has so much white).

The logo on the tail is quite smart and looks a bit like Malaysian's logo.

Great subject for a thread .
My favourite airline scheme is the simple yet smart and classy Landor scheme of British Airways from a few years ago.
In contrast the scheme that replaced it is my least favourite.Although there was a meaning behind each design,and they represented different cultures from around the world,I think some are amongst the worst designs ever seen on an aircraft tail.
My vote goes to the Air New Zealand Lord of the Rings/Hobbit designs.Now that is how to get your aircraft noticed,especially the Smaug dragon design,AWESOME!!!

Emirates have five (I think it is?) A380's in a United for Wildlife livery.

&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-151109633.jpg

Credit to the picture taker.

Whilst not particularly bad I think the Emirates livery is fairly bland.

One of the worst for me has to be S7 Airlines, then again I'm not overly fond of green.

Air Europa is one of my least liked brands. Their old livery was so much better.

thunderchild said:
Uzbekistan, Donbassaero, Windrose Aviation and Aerosvit all spring to mind.
Air Jamaica's old livery was a real eyesore as well.

Personally I dislike many Chinese aircraft liveries. most of the liveries feature a line down the side of the fuselage, and I feel that this makes the aircraft look too "retro" which for me doesn't work on newer planes.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock