Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
CAA calls on airlines to comply with the law following Supreme Court decisions on flight delay cases

This story has quietly passed by with hardly any press coverage but it could lead to thousands of compensation claims forcing airlines to increase the price of tickets to cover the cost of the claims.

Flight delays are deeply frustrating and they can be costly for both the passenger and airline concerned. The new ruling effectively allows passengers to potentially claim for more than their flight originally cost. The Travel Mole claims An estimated 2.36 million passengers per year in England and Wales are set to benefit from the Huzar decision, equivalent to approximately £876 million in compensation claims. Although a welcomed decision for the passengers involved, the decision will inevitably lead to the price of air fares rising to cover the additional costs.

1414791084294_wps_2_Claim_if_your_flight_is_l.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cases.html

Re: CAA Civil Aviation Authority

There is no doubt that all passengers will pay a price for this in increased fares.

I always thought it unreasonable that some airlines would claim that technical problems with aircraft were extraordinary circumstances. Not only that but it's not unkown for the expression 'delayed for technical reasons' to be used to cover a myriad of reasons for a delay from genuine technical problems with an aircraft to the captain oversleeping and turning up late for work.

Clearly such things as industrial action, adverse weather and atc problems are outside the control of airlines and are rightly deemed extraordinary circumstances.

The other case that the Supreme Court refused to allow a challenge to the Court of Appeal's previous ruling gives passengers a longer historic period in which to submit claims.

• Admin
Re: CAA Civil Aviation Authority

Over recent days the forum has had spam attacks by insurance companies wanting to capitalise on the recent ruling.

• Admin
Next Friday the ITV programme "Martin Lewis Money Show" is to feature how to claim money back from airlines after having a delayed flight. The programme is aired on Friday 23rd January at 8pm.

• Admin
Carriers warn soaring claims for delays will push up fares

Airlines face sky-rocketing claims for compensation following last year’s Supreme Court ruling sanctioning payouts for delays of three hours-plus when aircraft suffer technical problems.

The judgment in the Huzar v Jet2 case means technical defects are no longer classed as “extraordinary circumstances” under EU compensation rules.

Read more: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/ ... sh-up.html

It's inevitable the price of flights will go up, the question now is by how much?

• Admin
A recent article in the Guardian reports on a recent case whereby a judge has said passengers can claim for delays caused by technical faults. Up until now airlines have been avoiding paying out for such claims labelling them as "extraordinary circumstances". The latest ruling is likely to see hundreds or thousands of new compensation claims made against airlines.

In a case brought by the Dutch airline KLM, the judge decreed that unexpected technical problems can no longer count as an “extraordinary circumstance”, opening the door to claims of up to €600 (£437) a head.
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/s ... passengers

In the medium to long term this can only be a bad thing as airlines seek to recover their losses by way of increasing their charges.

The CAA says American, Etihad, Emirates, Singapore and Turkish Airlines have been told they must obey European laws and pay flight delay compensation or they will be taken to court.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock