Air Band Radio Scanners

Hi all,

After a scanner I can sit at the cemetery with and listen to tower, approach and departures with. Also if I'm at my house in Wakefield the same would be great. Been looking at used ones on eBay but still not sure which is the best one to get would like to spend 60-70 tops.

Also what are the above frequencies please ?

Been a guest for a while now and enjoy all the news on here and been a lbia spotter for a few years now :dirol:

Re: Air Band Radio Scanners

Wf3 said:
Hi all,

Also what are the above frequencies please ?

Tower - 120.3
Approach - 133.125
Delivery - 121.8
ATIS - 118.025
Fire - 121.6

Try maplins or another electrical store as they some times have offers on and you can get them for a fairly decent price.

You will pick up traffic on approach and once airborne from Wakefield with most scanners, but without a major antenna you wont pick up the controllers.

Hi wf3 and welcome to Forums4airports.

I have an old Yupiteru 225 which has been a fantastic radio for me. They're bidding for around £50 on EBAY which might sound a bit expensive but they were built to last.

I don't know if this page will still display on EBAY but here's the link anyway.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw ... er+VHF+UHF

Aviador said:
Hi wf3 and welcome to Forums4airports.

I have an old Yupiteru 225 which has been a fantastic radio for me. They're bidding for around £50 on EBAY which might sound a bit expensive but they were built to last.

I don't know if this page will still display on EBAY but here's the link anyway.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw ... er+VHF+UHF

Well i agree with Aviador about the Yupiteru model.

I have an Yupiteru 125II which is only receives VHF for civil movements. But the larger Yupiteru 225 has both the VHF and UHF for Military movements. I've had it a good 10 years now and never had a problem with it. I bought it brand new from The old Air Suppy shop in Yeadon. They still operate but are internet based now and can be found at http://www.airsupply.co.uk/acatalog/

You may also find this website http://www.javiation.co.uk/ useful for more information about Air Band receivers.

My Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT cost £149, down from £200, around 4 years ago - unfortunately in that time it hasn't come down in price much and still retails for around the 200 mark. Standing at the cemetery in Yeadon or on top of Otley Chevin I sometimes pick up aircraft approaching the likes of Heathrow and East Midlands. I spent a few quid on a telescopic aerial to replace the rubber duck, and a few quid on two cd's with thousands of frequencies on.

I've heard some interesting chatter on it - a taxi-ing BA plane at Heathrow asking if a Virgin jet could move a bit as he was worried they might not have wing-tip clearance - he got quite exasperated as his requests weren't implemented for a while; aircraft at MAN reporting a bird strike; a security guard warning others that a known shoplifter was in his store; and even an LGI porter saying he was going to pick up a patient who had just sadly died. They really do open your eyes (ears??) to the hidden world around you!

Hi al,

Thanks for the tips, picked up a undien bearcat ubc72xlt.

Quick question, what is delivery as opposed to approach? Also what freq is for departing planes? Sorry complete newbie with this. Managed to hear Ryanair chatter on approach freq but that's it.

Thanks

Wf3 said:
Hi al,

Thanks for the tips, picked up a undien bearcat ubc72xlt.

Quick question, what is delivery as opposed to approach? Also what freq is for departing planes? Sorry complete newbie with this. Managed to hear Ryanair chatter on approach freq but that's it.

Thanks

Delivery is generally for passing onward route clearance for after departure. Approach is effectively radar for aircraft heading towards the airport to make a visual or instrument approach.

Somebody might be able to expand on that possibly.

wf3: are you picking up much traffic in wakefield?

:s_cool Hi All

I'm a :s_cool new member,I have been a spotter for many years

Can anybody help I have an R532 scanner I have no instructions to input frequencies as this is an old scanner .will it still input the new frequencies

thanks

Jimbob

jimbob said:
:s_cool Hi All

I'm a :s_cool new member,I have been a spotter for many years

Can anybody help I have an R532 scanner I have no instructions to input frequencies as this is an old scanner .will it still input the new frequencies

thanks

Jimbob

Hi jimbob

Welcome to Forums4airports. What make is the R532? I'm not familiar with it but I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem adding new frequencies. Hopefully somebody will know. :pleasantry:

:plums: :plums: :LOL: :hatsoff: hi all asked about a scanner which should have been a signal 535 can i input local frequencies using this scanner not been used for afew years and no instrucions can anybody help please

thanks jimbob

Hi all.

I've read the above about the air radio scanners and I to am looking at buying a new air radio scanner. I have seen a few around the 50-60 pound mark, will these be decent scanners for using around the airport?

Also I live in the Skipton area so will this be to far away to pick up the tower etc or should I be able to pick up approach?

Thanks

Well I live up York Road just 15 mins walk from Leeds bus station, around 10 miles from LBA, and my £150 scanner (price included a £50 discount!) with an extendable aerial occasionally picks up approach, but not the tower. In fact as I type a Ryanair flight has flown over, and on the tower frequency I've heard the crew talking and replying to the tower, but not the tower itself inbetween. The ATIS is non-existent too. I'm assuming it's all because I'm lower than the airport, and if I was as high up as that plane I'd hear the tower too. It may be worse in Skipton, as that's what 20 miles from LBA?

Near the airport however these things pick up everything.

Yep i would say that Skipton is about 20 miles from the airport. So its pretty unlikely that im going to be able to listen to the tower from here, but a chance of hearing the pilots on approach when 14 is in use as they generally fly somewhere near skipton.

Has anybody any reccommendations of what would be a good radio scanner up to around the £60 area?

Thanks

There'a a Uniden Bearcat EZI33xlt on Amazon for £60 which looks to be the best one you'd get for around that price. It replaces a 30xlt which has good reviews on Amazon.

A better aerial to replace the rubber duck would be a good investment too. They're around £10, more if you want a tabletop aerial, and depending on what connector the scanner uses, you may have to spend a couple of quid on an adaptor so the aerial fits, if one isn't included with the scanner or aerial itself.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that Masere, your help is much appreciated. I think the one that you recommended is looking favourite so far

Wasn't it me who got you started on wanting a new Radio Scanner, after i mentioned i plan to get one??

I seen quite a few around, specially at maplin but what i want to know is what frequencies, IE Radio band frequency what ever it is called, do the scanners need to be able recieve in order for me to able to listen in to airports like LBA and MAN.

All scanners will pick up the air band (108-137Mhz), as that's the main reason people buy them.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock