ADVERTISEMENT

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome back to the site Guest !

Air Berlin

Discussion in 'Worldwide Airline Forum' started by News Guru, Aug 22, 2011.

1. News Guru

News Guru Administrator

Media:
    Loss making Air Berlin axes UK routes

Air Berlin is axing a number of routes to the UK as part of a plan to partially withdraw from regional airports in Germany and shed unprofitable routes after announcing a €32.2m (£28m) quarter loss on a turnover of €1.12 billion (almost £1 billion). The airline will stop flying from Gatwick to Hanover and from Stansted to Hanover, Munster and Paderborn. It will also end its Manchester service to Paderborn.

Germany's second largest airline after Lufthansa said the cancellations were necessary as its cost reductions had not been sufficient to offset higher costs resulting from aviation tax (Germany introduced an aviation tax in January), rising fuel prices and the decline of Egypt-based business. The airline will cut its fleet by eight aircraft, slashing one million seats from its overall capacity for the second half of this year. In future, it will concentrate on its hubs in Berlin, Dusseldorf, Palma and Vienna.

The airline will maintain its Gatwick-Nuremberg, Stansted-Dusseldorf, Stansted-Nuremberg and Stansted-Salzburg services.

Source

2. User0001

User0001 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  3. airforced

airforced Active Member

Was there a reason for posting that? Did I miss something or are you trying for a job with Air Berlin PR department?

Please give an explanation of what you are posting in future so that forum members can decide if it may be worth watching before (wasting in my humble opinion) 3+ minutes of their time.

4. tomleeds

tomleeds Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    now now airforced I understand that a few video's have been posted of aircraft landing and departing, in more than one thread, and I think it's nice work that is being posted.

Admittedly there should have been some sort of caption, but I thought it was an okay bit of footage! :good:

5. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

mishazeltser has been posting videos in a number of threads, and very interesting they are too.

The purpose is usually self-explanatory though on this occasion a few words of explanation would have ensured clarity.

6. airforced

airforced Active Member

Don't you know that the older you get the more tetchy you get!

I was a little 'older' last evening. No intention to offend mishazeltser but please do explain in future.

7. BSL-2km

BSL-2km Active Member

Media:
  8. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    Been reading on another forum that Lufthansa will lease 40 aircraft from Air Berlin which is a third of its current fleet starting next winter. Also Lufthansa will cooperate with Etihad (Air Berlins owner) and the aircraft will go to Eurowings there LCC airline to stave off competition from the likes of Ryanair Easyjet and other LCCs who might attempt to capitalise on a potential future collapse of Air Berlin.

Aviador likes this.
  9. Aviador

Aviador Administrator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    Air Berlin To Cease Trading
    [​IMG]
    Well another sad day for the aviation world as it has been announced that Air Berlin, Europe's 10th largest airline is to cease trading on the 28th October. The airline has been struggling to stay in business for a number of years now.

10. Brum X

Brum X Premium Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Another sad day, used to look forward to seeing a load of Air Berlin at LPA/PMI etc (n)

TheLocalYokel and Aviador like this.
  11. Aviador

Media:
    Albums:
    Agree, Air Berlin was a brand you were sure to see on nearly every air journey to Europe. According to Wikipedia Air Berlin had over 70 aircraft in service.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

TheLocalYokel and Brum X like this.
  12. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

It wasn't so many years ago that Air Berlin was one of the great hopes for European aviation and many airports were hoping for a share. Looking back over the past quarter of a century the number of European airlines that once existed in that period but no longer do is staggering, not to mention those merged with others. Worldwide the total is greater still.

I suppose it's been ever thus since the beginning of airlines and probably always will be. It wasn't so long ago that the great American international airlines were Pan American World Airways (Pan Am) and Trans World Airlines (TWA).

Aviador and Brum X like this.
  13. Aviador

Media:
    Albums:
    I think once airlines get to a certain size they must become almost unmanageable as it becomes difficult to see where in the business things are going wrong. Maybe that's why IAG operate separate brands to ensure faltering parts of the business don't bring the entire company down.

airforced likes this.
  14. Jerry

Media:
    Albums:
  15. BSL-2km

BSL-2km Active Member

Media:
    Jerry likes this.
  16. Aviador

Media:
    Albums:
    ...and on arrival he did a lap of honour and got suspended for the pleasure. Apparently he committed a frightening and dangerous manoeuvre.

17. Aviador

Media:
    Albums:

I'm not expert but that doesn't look dangerous to me. Somewhat unusual, yes, dangerous, no. #byebyeairberlin

18. Jerry

Media:
    Albums:
    I think it's a case of trusting the pilots judgement there. They are trained for things like go arounds and touch and goes so I'd imagine that a fly past like that is safe. I don't think the Captain would've risked anyone's lives.